PSI established PROMACO in 1991. Its programs target mobile populations, sex workers and women.
PROMACO uses peer education and condom distribution to reach truckers at truck stops, gold miners at mine locations and sex workers that follow both groups. In 2006, PROMACO ran a nationwide mass media campaigns focusing on better risk perception among groups engaged in high risk sexual behavior: multi-partnering and inconsistent condom use.
PROMACO has been using targeted research to better identify the barriers to healthier sexual behavior. As a result, campaigns have been developed and aired nationwide on themes including: there is no cure for AIDS, engaging in high risk is stressful, and one’s appearance does not indicate one’s HIV status.
- Burkina Faso’s National AIDS Program
- Direction de la Santé Familiale
- Developing Family Planning Markets in Francophone West Africa
In Francophone West Africa, PSI partners with Ministries of Health to achieve the goals set out by the Ouagadougou Partnership to reach at least 2.2 million additional family planning users by 2020. The pillars of our response are access, choice, quality, and equity.
- Equity Monitoring for Social Marketing: Use of Wealth Quintiles and the Concentration Index for Decision-making in HIV Prevention, Family Planning, and Malaria Programs
It is essential that social marketing organizations monitor the health equity of their programs and improve targeting when the poor are not being reached. This study compares two measures of health equity, concentration indices and wealth quintiles, using a defined reference population, and considers benefits of both measures together to inform programmatic decision making
- Factors Associated with Female Genital Mutilation in Burkina Faso
This study examined whether the prevalence of FGM changed over time in Burkina Faso and identified the factors associated with this practice.
- 2011 Region and Country Dashboards, West and Central Africa
West and Central Africa region and country impact dashboards for 2011
- Burkina Faso (2008) : Enquête de Base pour suivre et analyser les déterminants de l’utilisation consistante du condom en vue de prévenir le VIH/Sida au sein de la population générale
- “Project MAP – Measuring Access and Performance”