Despite a high per capita income relative to most of the developing world, the Dominican Republic suffers from high income disparities and poverty rates and poor health and education outcomes. The DR also has among the highest rates of infidelity, adolescent pregnancy and exportation of sex work. PSI/Dominican Republic (PSI/DR) is based in the country’s capital, Santo Domingo. Its program interventions are executed at both the national and community levels and employs 34 local staff and one international staff member.
PSI/Dominican Republic estimates that in 2015, its products and services helped avert 23,140 DALYs, including, by health area:
- 18,306 HIV DALYs
- 4,834 FP DALYs
PSI/Dominican Republic’s family planning programs also provided 104,805 couple-years of protection.
HIV and Contraception
PSI/Dominican Republic has been an affiliate of PSI since 2003. Technical assistance from PSI to the DR health sector began in 1998. With programs focused on HIV and AIDS, and sexual and reproductive health, PSI/DR promotes products, services and healthy behaviors that enable low-income and vulnerable people to lead healthier lives.
Some of the products marketed and sold by the platform include:
- Panté Condoms
- Sexual and reproductive health products (OCs, Injectables, Implants, IUDs) and Clinicas Red Segura (Red Segura Clinics)
Products and services are sold at subsidized prices rather than given away in order to motivate commercial sector involvement. Since its inception, PSI/DR has focused on HIV/AIDS and sexually transmitted infection prevention among youth, immigrant communities, commercial sex workers and their clients, mobile populations (such as truckers, agricultural workers, construction workers, street venders and mobile market vendors) and military personnel. In 2013, PSI/DR launched a clinical network of medical providers, called Clinicas Red Segura, to ensure quality reproductive health services for at-risk youth and sex workers.
- U.S. Agency for International Development
- The Federal Republic of Germany through KfW Entwicklungsbank (the German development bank)
- U.S. Department of Defense
- Private Individuals and Foundations
- Pan-Caribbean Partnership against HIV/AIDS
- Dominican Ministry of Health
- Direcion General Materno Infantil y Adolecentes
- Consejo Nacional para la Prevencion del VIH/SIDA
- NGO AIDS Coalition
- Over 15 local NGOs
- PSI/Dominican Republic
- 2012 Mid Year Region and Country Dashboards, Latin America and the Caribbean
Mid-year Latin America and the Caribbean region and country impact dashboards for 2012
- Using GIS to Support Public Health Interventions
Many of PSI's country offices now actively use GIS to support a range of public health interventions, including STI and HIV testing, prevention, and treatment, reproductive health service provision, prevention and treatment of malaria and TB, maternal and child health, and safe water systems.
Inside are just a few examples of how international non-profit organizations such as PSI can benefit from maps and GIS technology, be it for resource allocation, monitoring and reporting of interventions at the national level, or targeting and planning field activities in communities.
- 2011 Region and Country Dashboards, Latin America and the Caribbean
Latin America and the Caribbean region and country impact dashboards for 2011
- Can Follow-Up Study Questions About Correct and Consistent Condom Use Reduce Respondent Over-Reporting Among Groups at High Risk? an Analysis of Datasets From Six Countries
This study sought to determine whether including two types of questions in surveys administered via face-to-face interview can contribute to more accurate measures of correct and consistent condom use among populations at risk for HIV.
- Evaluation of a Condom Use Program among Female Sex Workers in Dominican Republic
The program aims to increase safer sexual behaviors among female sex workers in the DR. Through an integrated behavior change communications (BCC) strategy based on peer education model and social marketing (SM) approach, the aim is to improve access to and availability of male condoms and water-based lubricants. PSI collaborates with other local non-governmental organizations and the government to implement inter-personal communication interventions (IPC).
- Evaluation of a Condom Prevention Program Among Bateyes Residents in the Dominican Republic, 2006-2008
PSI is operating in the Dominican Republic since 2003. It has since implemented a series of programs, with support from the German Development Bank (KfW), aiming to increase safer sexual behaviors among people living in the Bateyes (settled communities of Haitian migrant workers in sugar cane plantations on the border with Haiti).
- Impact December 2009