Established in 2008, Population Services International/Europe is a locally registered non-governmental organization based in Amsterdam.
- As a member of the PSI network, PSI/Europe serves as an administrative and advocacy hub for a vast global network that includes local offices in more than 60 countries throughout Africa, Asia and Latin America.
- PSI/Europe also directly coordinates a portfolio of programs funded by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, spanning sexual and reproductive health and rights programs, including condom social marketing, reproductive health services and family planning in Africa.
- PSI/Europe is PSI’s primary point of contact with European stakeholders and networks. PSI/Europe facilitates, and manages the flow of and knowledge exchange between a wide variety of stakeholders from academia, NGOs, governments and the private sector.
- Monitors the European donor landscape.
- Provides in-country technical assistance for PSI network members.
- Contributes to new business development opportunities for PSI network members.
PSI-Europe comprises a team of dedicated health and development professionals:
- Douglas Call, Managing Director
- Odette Hekster, Head of Programs
- Yuliya Savchenko, Head of Finance
- Akko Eleveld, Manager, Global Fund Desk
- Olivier LeTouzé, Project Director | Project Ignite /Senior Technical Advisor | Market Research
- Christian Gladel, Advisor, Global Fund Desk
- Charlotte Petty, Program Analyst
- Nino Manjavidze, Accounting Administrative Assistant
- Ibrahim Palaz, Manager , New Business development
People We Serve
From 2011-2015 PSI-Europe was tasked with managing the €12.5 million project Universal Access to Family Planning under the Choices and Opportunities Fund from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Government of The Netherlands in eight countries; Benin, Cameroon, Malawi, Mali, Somaliland, Togo, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
Through innovative, integrated approaches and cost-effective strategies and activities, PSI and Guttmacher Institute created informed demand for family planning services and products, expanded contraceptive choice, and conducted advocacy for pro-family planning policies.
Over the total project period, PSI delivered 1.437.234 couple years of protection.
The eight PSI network members collectively distributed more than:
- 3 million male and female condoms
- 2 million cycles of oral contraceptives
- over 150, 000 (three and five year) implants
- 50,000 IUDs
- over 1 million injectable contraceptives
- 12,000 cycle beads
- over 100,000 emergency contraceptives
JEUNE S3: In 2015, PSI-Europe joined as a strategic partner to an alliance led by Cordaid to embark on a Strategic Partnership with the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the field of Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights. The Jeune S3 (Santé, Sexualité, Sécurité) project started at the beginning of 2016.
The goal of the project is to ensure that young people (especially girls) and key populations in fragile countries are able, motivated and have the opportunity to make informed choices about their sexual and reproductive health and that their sexual and reproductive rights are respected. The project will be implemented in Cameroon, Central African Republic and DR Congo.
PSI-Europe, in partnership with PSI’s network member Association Camerounaise de Marketing Social (ACMS) in Cameroon, is responsible for the implementation of the project in Cameroon. PSI-Europe and ACMS’s contribution will be in the areas of social behaviour change communication and demand creation; sexual and reproductive health service delivery and; youth empowerment. PSI-Europe will also contribute to international advocacy efforts.
PROJECT IGNITE: PSI-Europe offered technical support in application to the Strategic Partnership with the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the field of Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights. As a result, PSI was chosen as an INGO Strategic Partner of Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The 5 year project started in February 2016, focusing on young people’s sexual and reproductive health and rights by “Building healthy markets for Sara” in Democratic Republic of Congo, Mozambique and Haïti and in partnership with Triggerise in Kenya and India.
- Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- United Kingdom Department for International Development
- The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB and Malaria
- Reproductive Health Supplies Coalition
- Share-net, Netherlands Network on Sexual and Reproductive Health and AIDS
- The Federal Republic of Germany through KfW Entwicklungsbank (the German development bank)
- Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA)
- European Commission
- Universal Access to Female Condoms (UAFC) Joint Programme link
- Stichting PSI-Europe: Annual Report 2015
PSI-Europe manages relationships with Europe-based donors and stakeholders, provides technical support, and contributes to new business development opportunities for PSI network members. The annual report describes PSI-Europe's activities and achievements during 2015.