We ensure that women are fully informed of their contraceptive options post-abortion and are able to get the method they want immediately or as soon as is medically advised.
Post-abortion contraception is a critical part of safe abortion and post-abortion care as a means of preventing subsequent unintended pregnancies.
All women should be counseled and offered post-abortion contraception before leaving the healthcare facility, because fertility can return within a week. Most women are medically eligible to use all modern contraceptive methods immediately following an uncomplicated abortion or post-abortion care treatment, so there is no medical reason to delay providing a method.
PSI works to ensure that women receive prompt contraceptive counseling and methods after an abortion or post-abortion care:
- We distribute contraceptive methods so that they are available in health facilities and pharmacies.
- We train providers on contraceptive counseling skills, information on each method and any clinical skills necessary to provide each method.
- Our programs reinforce this training through supervisory visits that include observing post-abortion contraceptive service delivery.
Making a difference
Our network member in Cambodia, Population Services Khmer (PSK), is implementing several innovative ideas to improve the number of women who receive a contraceptive method after an abortion:
- Consumer hotline counselors are specifically trained to counsel women on post-abortion contraception, and they follow up with the woman if given permission to do so.
- Information on post-abortion contraception and a referral card to a provider are included in medical abortion packaging.
Our community outreach agents provide contraceptive information and referrals when they come across a woman who is within 30 days post-abortion.