HC3 is a five-year (2012-2017), global project funded by U.S. Agency for International Development. As USAID’s flagship global social and behavior change communication project, HC3 strengthens capacity, in addition to providing technical leadership and research and evaluation capability. Among the important health areas addressed by HC3 are:
- Family planning and reproductive health.
- Child survival.
- Maternal and child health.
- Other infectious and non-communicable disease.
The project also offers expertise in social and behavior change for gender equity, environment, and democracy and governance.
HC3 focuses on strengthening in-country capacity to implement state-of-the-art health communication, including mass media, community-level activities, interpersonal communication and new media. The project provides tailored capacity strengthening to a range of indigenous partners, including governments, non-governmental organizations, creative professionals and academics, with activities to develop individuals, organizations and national systems.
HC3 is designed to foster vibrant communities of practice at the national, regional and global levels that support improved evidence-based programming and continued innovation. The project’s specialized area of technical expertise uniquely positions it to complement, support and enhance behavior change activities supported by USAID missions worldwide.
Main project strategies include:
- Improving and sustaining health communication through a defined capacity improvement cycle based upon current best practices.
- Facilitating increased capacity at the graduate and undergraduate levels among universities in Africa, Asia and elsewhere.
- Supporting collaborative learning, exchange and capacity strengthening through the regional marketplace, including both virtual and physical centers.
- Harnessing new media and igniting innovation to improve behavioral impact.
- Building the evidence base for health communication through rigorous research and evaluation.
We are part of a broad partnership under the HC3 umbrella. We serve as a specialized communication partner on HC3, providing expertise in marketing and social and behavior change communications for health products and services. Other partners include:
- Project lead: Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health Center for Communication Programs (JHU.CCP). CCP combines the art and science of strategic communication to help people around the world make better health choices for themselves, their families and their communities. As the prime on HC3, JHU.CCP provides leadership to the HC3 project and collaborates closely with its partners to strengthen the capacity of developing country capacity to implement state-of-the-art SBCC programs through technical leadership, capacity strengthening, research, and innovation.
- Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is a nonprofit international health organization working in over 40 countries. Its mission is to save lives and improve the health of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. For HC3, MSH provides field-tested best practice in management and leadership development, blended learning programs and organizational capacity building.
- NetHope’s mission is to act as a catalyst for collaboration, bringing together the knowledge and power of 37 leading international humanitarian organizations so that the best information communication technology and practices can be used to serve people in the developing world. NetHope provides HC3 with state-of-the-art technology integration and creation of eTool approaches.
- Internews Network is an international nonprofit organization that has worked with local media in more than 70 countries. Internews’ efforts over the past 30 years have been guided by core values emphasize a commitment to developing local leadership and alliances for sustainable change. Internews serves as a specialized communication partner on HC3 providing expertise in capacity strengthening with the media.
- Forum One is a digital agency that partners with organizations to craft solutions for the world’s most pressing problems. Forum One provides HC3 with internet strategy, online community and collaboration, user experience and design, and innovative website development.
- Ogilvy Public Relations is a leading, global communications company that for nearly three decades has been at the forefront of social marketing and health communications—advancing health, safety and social issues via innovative marketing and groundbreaking public education. Ogilvy is a specialized communication partner on HC3 providing expertise in activities to strengthen innovation, nurture creative organizations and facilitate private sector collaborations.