Want to learn about condoms? Want to be inspired by what is happening in East Africa and beyond in the condom category? Well look no further – introducing Condom Collective, a new blog that will highlight gathered intel from the condom category, local and global insights into themes important for our condom business in East Africa (and around the world), stories, interviews, case studies, and much much more! It is authored by PSI Social Marketing Technical Advisor, C. Montague Hermann and by the looks of it, the blog is a must-read.
You might be asking yourself “what is this blog all about?” and “who cares about condoms?” Why should you read it? Below is an explanation and why you might want to subscribe, follow along, and learn a thing or two about rubbers.
I started this blog as part of a two year journey to better understand EVERYTHING about condoms. I am on a journey to gather intelligence on how condoms are made, what innovations are coming about in condom technology, how consumers feel about and engage with condoms, how condoms are distributed and sold, and to better understand the reproductive health landscape in which condoms play a crucial role.
Of course, there is a reason behind all of this. I work for PSI, one of the leading distributors of condoms in the world, and I am on a mission: to unify our condom business in East Africa (and ultimately beyond) so that we maintain our positive health impact in the region but can streamline our business portfolio to offer better value, become more relevant, and ensure we maximize our ROI as we try to ensure equitable access to every person in East Africa who needs a condom.
So, again, why might you want to read this blog? Well, for the following reasons:
- If you want to learn about the condom market or more generally, what drives condom sales around the world
- If you are curious about the role of condoms in the sexual and reproductive health landscape
- If you think “hey, condoms should be distributed for free to all” but also wonder about the sustainability of such a proposition
- If you are curious to learn about how condoms can be equitably accessed: that is, how a large social marketing agency plans to ensure everyone has access to a condom and sources them from the appropriate sector (depending on their SES quintile and willingness to pay)
- If you want to see best in class condom marketing from around the world and be inspired!
- If you want to hear from real people in East Africa engaged with condoms, and hear what they have to say about their preferences for brands, socially marketed condoms, the impact that PSI is having, etc.
This “condom collective” will be an amalgamation of gathered market intel, consumer and trade insights, inspirational stories and interviews, and ultimately an engine of ideation around condoms. I will be spending time in approximately 10 countries to gather content for this blog and will be asking for contributions from our team to keep the content rich and the dialogue exciting.
Stay tuned for more to come…I will soon be travelling to visit our team in Kampala to conduct a market landscape assessment and learn everything there is to learn about condoms in that market.
from where the rubber hits the road,