Transform, which stands for Translating Effective Practices from Research, Marketing and Design, is a multi-partner project that will provide specialized technical assistance in behavior change and communication to USAID missions and their implementing partners. Projects span HIV/AIDS, maternal and child health, nutrition, tuberculosis and infectious disease.
Transform emphasizes creative thinking, exceptional design, and high-quality production and implementation. It builds upon USAID’s past and current work in health communication, marrying implementers’ longstanding focus on country context, strategy development, capacity strengthening and scale with novel and effective approaches from the private sector and creative fields.
Under Transform, partners can provide relatively short-term, targeted technical assistance or multi-year implementation services, working closely with in-country implementing partners to identify, pilot and evaluate new approaches to behavior change research and programming.
Planned activities for Transform include:
- Strengthening the quality of existing communication activities through the introduction of new practices in research and design. Examples include:
- Immersive formative research methods drawn from anthropology, marketing, or human-centered design.
- Systematic and insightful approaches to audience segmentation and profiling.
- Rapid and rigorous strategies for message and materials testing.
- Piloting state-of-the-art approaches to the use of “new” and social media in the context of multi-channel communication interventions.
- Addressing intractable social and behavior change challenges through bold or creative communication campaigns or other types of behavior change interventions.
The Transform and HC3 projects are intended to complement each other. HC3 focuses on the application of behavior change communication best practices, expansion of evidence-based practices and capacity strengthening. Transform, on the other hand, focuses on the innovation side of behavior change communication.
Our Transform team consists of the following partners:
- Hope Consulting, a strategy consulting small business that brings best-in-class strategy and marketing techniques to the social sector.
- Sage Innovation, a small business, brings skills in advocacy, innovative strategy design and evaluation to the team.
- IDEO.org, a design and innovation organization that brings expertise in Human Centered Design and innovation.
- Innovations for Poverty Action, an organization dedicated to rigorous evaluation through the design and implementation of randomized control trials.
- Lowe Lintas, a professional services partner who brings private sector marketing and advertising capacity to the team.
- Internews, a capacity and sustainability building organizations focusing on media professionals and citizen journalists.